Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Dreadful ThankfulDISS

If you know me personally you know that I LOVE Facebook. It gives me something to do when I'm nursing all day long, keeps me entertained when I'm bored with the old guy documentary my husband is watching and it gives me the illusion of a social life. That being said there are certain types of statuses that make me want to personally punch Mark Zuckerberg in the face for allowing everyone to voice their opinions on a public forum.

One of such being what I like to call The ThankfulDISS.

Yes I made that word up. But it's a thing. It goes something like this...

"I am SO THANKFUL to THOSE OF YOU who visited me when I had my appendix taken out. Thanks to FRIENDS like you I didn't downward spiral into a black hole of depression. Apparently Tina, Scott and Jorge were the only ones that knew I was in the hospital because they were the only pals I saw in my hospital room after having an internal organ removed. Thank you for always being there for me Tina, Scott and Jorge. *Secret hand shake for supportive friends*"

These statuses are not cool whatever way you try to bend it.

Here's why:

1. Even though you think you're complimenting your supportive friends you're really putting them in an extremely awkward position. Not only did you diss everyone else but now they feel like they somehow dissed everyone else too when it was not their intention, but yours.

2. You know when your grandma keeps saying, "WHY DON'T YOU EVER VISIT ME?" So you finally drive there to visit and are sitting on their couch and hear, "You never visit me!" I hate that. You're the naggy grandma in this scenario.

The moment you guilt trip someone to visit you, check on you, send you a thank you card...guess what? That's the absolute LAST THING they want to do. And if they swallow their pride and do it anyways, it was not out of good intention but a nasty guilt trip and they probably hated every minute of it. Do you really want someone to be nice to you out of guilt? That's just sad.

3. You make it rough for me to write a genuine status and wonder if people are taking it the wrong way. Just recently I posted thanking people that were at my kid's dedication and the whole time I worried those that weren't able to make it or were just too busy (because I understand busy!) thought I was initiating the thankfulDISS when I was not.

I understand we all have those moments where we goof and don't show someone the support we should have. It's so good to visit your grandma or check on your friend in the hospital but if someone doesn't support you the way you support others it doesn't mean they don't support you. Maybe they just have a different way of showing it! When people have babies I rarely visit them right away because I feel like I'm overwhelming them vs. helping them.  We're all from different backgrounds and mindsets and even if your friend totally failed to be there for you this time I guarantee you a guilt- tripping, naggy public status will not mend that relationship or make them change their ways.

So here's my little hinty hint that if I read your ThankfulDISS about me not wishing your hamster a happy birthday I will not apologize, I will forget his future birthday and I will probably unfollow your immature hind end. Try talking to me in person like a real adult, let me be a stubborn mule for a few weeks over it and then reconsider.

Before you post any Facebook status I want you to think, "What is my intention with this status? Is it genuine or malicious?" and if it's the latter, delete it, call up your best friend and vent it out instead. It's time we all grow up a little.















No comments:

Post a Comment